July 2, 2013 by saltdogsducttape
I had a great weekend. All things considered it was awesome. Adrienne, the dogs and I went hiking in the north section of the Pisgah National Forest in Western North Carolina. As a Florida boy, the Appalachian Mountains have always been a special place. Summer hiking trips with the Boy Scouts, winter skiing trips with the youth group.
In August we are going on a 60+ mile trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. This weekend was supposed to be a quick six mile day hike to loosen up the boots followed by a quick stop at some Asheville breweries. The key to making this a six mile trip was finding a cutoff trail that would take us in a loop back to the car. It would have been really good if that trail existed.
By the time we realized that we should have been done, we were a little more than six miles from the start with only the option of turning around and hiking it again. A six mile loop turned into a thirteen mile out and back trip. It was frustrating and a little painful at the time, but in the end I think it was a really positive thing.
1) The dogs loved it! We try to get them lots of exercise by taking them running during the week but nothing gets them jazzed like a long hike with squirrels, and creeks, and sunshine.
2) Once we realized our mistake, it really wasn’t that bad. It was a long day that we weren’t prepared for but because of the training and CrossFitting that we do it was pretty easy. It is encouraging to see training payoff by being able to get out and do things, and by being able to deal with whatever comes up.
3) We learned that Adrienne needed new boots. Sorry pinky toe.
4) Now I know what a copperhead snake looks like.
5) It’s pretty hard to complain about spending MORE time in the woods.
How was your weekend? Did everything go as planned?
More to come later about our Montana trip. We are going to try our hand at dehydrating paleo meals to bring with us and will definitely be making paleo granola to bring with us. Look for a recipe later this week!